Monday, August 19, 2013

Closing the first Chapter

With seemingly countless amazing experiences and adventures Barbados has offered me, it is hard to leave.  When I first booked my flight to St. Lucia I thought I'd be more excited to see St. Lucia, but instead I felt down with the idea of leaving Barbados.  However, like anywhere else, I can always return and the journey must continue. 

A few people can't go without mention in this blog.  Firstly Hermina Charlery, while not a local herself (St. Lucian), Hermina was my first friend in Barbados, and one I will be sure to miss.  Her generous and welcoming personality make her among one of the most beautiful people I know.  I admire her determination and ambition as she starts out her own company, while working at The Nation (Barbados newspaper) as an editor.  The other day, Hermina told me that I have taught her a lot about herself and I laughed at the memory of telling her she had the worst concept of time that I have ever come across.  But the truth is, she has taught me just as much.  From writing, to editing, to her culture and that of Bajans, Hermina is an independent and motivated friend with plenty of knowledge to share and I look forward to when our paths cross again in the future. 

The Bajan I spent the most time with, David Hutson.  He is a dive instructor at The Dive Shop and as I rented from his Godfather, he was also a roommate and dive buddy while I worked. His love for diving was obvious with how happy he was after each day at work and with his detailed descriptions of each dive.  He truly loves what he does and I admire him for that.

Finally to all the others, Alex (who gave me very affordable rent), Shaggy and Kally (who taught me about fishing in Barbados), Steve (who makes the best fish pie at Oistins), Fatema (manager of the Dive Shop), Michael, John, Julian and Shahid (fellow Dive Shop employees), Steve Gallop (lawyer who introduced me to the Barbados Supreme Court and set me up to follow a case), Tom O'Sullivan (friend of my uncle's from Toronto, now living in Barbados), Ryan (a fellow couchsurfer who introduced me to the night life), the many divers I had the pleasure of diving with and hearing the stories of, and the many locals who had the patience and generosity to help me with directions, teach me to play dominos and simply just stop to share a story.  Bajans are beautiful and welcoming people!

With packing my things, I've done some reflecting on my time here in Barbados and all that I have managed to learn, find, experience, chase, visit and see.  It is hard to decide which I enjoyed best. 

I visited Cherry Tree, Tent Bay, the east coast and Harrison's Cave.  I swam in Flower Cave.  

The coastline covered in pin drops which appeared when I googled "beaches in Barbados" before leaving Ottawa- I have been to almost every one.

 I watched turtles lay eggs on the beach, and saw the hatchlings scrabble for the ocean. 

I logged over 45 dives, including 3 night dives, dove 7 ship wrecks and worked as a DM. I've swam with countless turtles, dolphins, frog fish, sea horses and eagle rays.

I helped to rescue dolphins and was on the American news in 8 states for a video I made of the experience.  I helped dolphin rescue groups from around the Caribbean and America link up after contacting me with regard to the same video.  Each passed on information and taught me more about dolphins, dolphin behavior and the patterns and causes of straying.

I learnt how to play dominos with the locals and survived a country with little concept for time.  

I cycled around the island to learn what I could of the varies parishes which make up Barbados and meet many locals in small towns.

I submitted 16 articles and about 30 photos for publication.  I have had 4 of the articles and 12 of the photos already published in a Bajan travel magazine - Explore Barbados.

I tried the traditional Bajan meal - flying fish and breadfruit coo coo. I've tried marlin, sword fish, maui maui, breadfruit, fish pie and macaroni pie.

I spent morning chatting with fishermen as they taught me of their trade. 

I chased black belly sheep, and found green monkeys. 

I discovered new rums. 

I learnt a bit of the Bajan legal system, fishing in Barbados, the concorde plane, and turtle breeding habits. 

I began to understand Bajan slang.

I did all that I could think of and find on the island.  As they say in Austraila, it was a full on trip which left me flat out at times.

With this chapter of the blog coming to an end, I am satisfied that I made the best of my time here and look forward to what this trip was meant to be from the start - a island hoping adventure of the Caribbean!  St. Lucia, here I come!




No comments:

Post a Comment