Friday, July 12, 2013

Calm before the Storm

As it turns out this expression while not always the case, is largely true.  The calm before a large storm is caused from the eye of the storm sucking in all of the cool and moist air in surrounding areas.  As this cool moist air saturates the storm clouds a warm dry air is pushed down.  Dry, warm air is more stable.  The cool air prevents more air from entering the storm cloud and provides a temporary shield making the calm before the storm.  Or the loss of moisture in the air cools the temperature making people think they might not die of heat exhaustion which is calming, whichever explanation you prefer:)

This story starts on the final day of my bike ride around the island.  Checking out of the hotel I was given my first warning to make sure I was off the road early.  Assuring the woman at the front desk that I would arrive at the St. Lawrence Gap before lunch, I thought nothing of it.

As I headed down the coast several locals repeated this same warning.  There was a tropical storm alert in effect on the island and we were to prepare accordingly.

After returning the bike and taking a bus back to St. Philip, I opened the door just in time to catch the phone.  It was Hermina.  She was relieved that I had made it back and said she would be home shortly as everything closed to allow locals time to prepare.  Peering outside at the clear day, I thought to myself 'okay' and sat down to read a book.

A few hours passed and I decided to call my sister.  As conversation gave way to these bizare warnings I once more peered outside.  this time to notice the woman accross the street loading her children into their mini-van and pulling away.  Must just be a coincidence, I thought to myself.  However for the first time in years, I wished to have a tv, as even the ice cream man who circled the block all afternoon, everyday with his music playing had vanished and neighborhood dogs were barking profusely.

My sister, who is also a mother, told me to get off the phone and go speak with a neighbor but I figured there was no one outside because there wasn't even a breeze at this point.  She insisted I call someone and got off the phone after asking that I keep her informed.

I called Dave, a diving buddy. If there was a tropical storm ahead the dive shop would be amongst the first to know the details.  During this conversation, Dave informed me that there was a tropical storm headed straight for us from the the east coast, which was predicted to hit sometime after midnight.  With 37 foot waves on route and the ocean already much wilder than usual, he, like all other boat owners, was busy taking the boats up the coast to Safe Harbor and removing the others from the water completely.  

Thinking maybe I should heed this warning I asked what I should do.  I was told to fill all the jugs with water and charge my phone as it was likely we would lose power and maybe even water supply for a bit.  He said to get groceries in case it hit and then to stay put.  Because I was in a concrete house, even though I was very near to the east shore, I should be fine.  Those in wooden houses evacuate first, if it gets bad.

Hanging up the phone I filled the fridge and began collecting the clothes off of the line when Hermina and Mike pulled up.  After filing the jeep they were ready to head to the shops.  Walking through the grocery store, I had a good laugh to myself surveying the scene.  While one might predict there would be little bread left, I couldn't help but notice the depreciated selection of hot sauce and empty beer shelves.  With following these priorities I grabbed a bottle of mix, some fruit, cheese and canned goods, just in case.

On the drive home Mike explained how he was caught up at work as it was his job to send out procedural government warining.  Apart from the above, anyone with pets was to bring them to a safe kennel as they would not accept animals at the shelter.  I asked if children were to be dropped off at a safe day care centers for the same reason, but I'm not sure he realized I was joking because he replied 'no'.

Arriving home we unpacked and waited.  Around 11 pm, it began to rain hard and this carried on throughout the night and well into the next day.  We were lucky in that the storm broke before hitting the island and reformed miles past, placing the same alert on the inner islands.

As I sat outside on the covered porch, watching the rain, I expressed my disappointment, while telling Hermina all about the snow storms we have in Canada and of how some of us love them because we get 'snow days', kind of like the afternoon before and that day, with having everything closed.

She explained that it wasn't at all like that.  Canada rests on a large and stable piece of land which can with-stain harsh weather.  When a storm hits an island it can be tragic and cause a lot of damage, damage many never recover from if it results in lost homes, crops or businesses.   While Barbados is quite lucky in that it has not been within the path of many hurricanes, some locals are still feeling the reproductions of the 2007 storm.  Bajans take precautions because while it wouldn't often hit, it is important that they are prepared if it does.  This is an annual event in Barbados.  Almost every hurricane season a warning is alarmed and people aren't looking out of their windows in anticipation of watching the weather.  They are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best while acknowledging many islands have it far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment