Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monday June 24th, 2013

While I've had many positive first impressions of a number of countries, I am not sure I've felt so attracted to one place on my first day anywhere as I have in Barbados.  While this is only day three, everyone I've met has been very welcoming and I've found myself quickly adapting to the Barbadian custom of saying hello to everyone as I pass.

By 3 pm, I had met up with Hermina and her friend Mike and the three of us were cruising the island, after checking out the St. Lawrence Gap, we enjoyed dinner along the ocean with live music at the fish markets and walked the coast line for over an hour before settling in for my first night in Barbados.

On the second day, I woke up and began to plan the first part of this adventure.  While Hermina knocked the first four ideas, for being 'unsafe', and might have described the fifth as 'unrealistic', I must have said something exciting because she has decided to join me! 

As a writer and editor for a number of travel magazines, Hermina, while St. Lucian, knows this island inside and out and will be a great travel companion.  We seem to have similar personalities, so it might be safe to recruit a sensible or safety cautious third,  which we are working on.  With this being a last minute plan, Hermina cannot leave for at least a week, as she has deadlines to meet with writing before we go.  After this point in time, we will be off for a 4 day hike around the perimeter/coastline, of Barbados!

For now and until then, I will explore the diving.  I have already walked through the city and checked out a number of dive operators and I called a diver, a good friend of mine and former dive body, Genevieve recommended.  It looks like the diving will begin on the west coast!  Wish me luck!

Dee

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, Dee! Looking forward to following all of your adventures over the next few months. Be safe and have fun! Much love XX

    ReplyDelete